When it was proposed to me to write about the vocation of marriage, I thought it would be a breeze. I’ve been married for nearly eight years, after all. I started to think about different ways to approach the topic: history of it as a sacrament, the changing views of marriage throughout the years, the present challenges set against the institution. I tried to think of married saints and how they lived their vocations. Then, my own marriage hit a speed bump. Propriety keeps me from going into detail but there were tears and hurt feelings. I suddenly felt...Read More
Author: Acacia St. Anthony
Mar 8, 2018 | Arts
Latin for “divine reading”, lectio divina is a sacred practice that’s been around since at least the time of St. Benedict in the 5th century. The easiest explanation is to say that it’s prayerful reading. However, that skims over the most important elements of this spiritual exercise. In today’s article, we’re going to discuss not only why you should practice lectio but also how. History of the Practice Though St. Benedict mentions meditating and praying over Sacred Scripture in the Rule for his monks, it wasn’t until the 11th century that a formula appeared. A Carthusian monk named Guigo...Read More
The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to him. – Mark 1:12-13 RSV CE Following Christ’s baptism in the River Jordan, the Gospel of St. Mark tells us that the Holy Spirit drove Christ into the desert. In other places, such as Matthew, Scripture uses the word “led”. Mark chose a more forceful term. It’s a violent image on the heels of the awe-inspiring glory of the Heavens opening and a voice proclaiming Christ a...Read More
Lent is a forty-day journey with Christ in the desert. Beginning Ash Wednesday and ending on Holy Saturday, it’s an opportunity for Catholics to take stock of their spiritual lives. The season’s emphasis on fasting, prayer, and almsgiving grants us the chance to draw closer to God through spiritual disciplines. That sounds lovely and rather poetic, doesn’t it? But how does one accomplish a “good Lent”? By having a plan. Goals Without a goal in mind, no plan will succeed. As you embark on your Lenten journey, you need to decide upon your goals. Obviously, drawing closer to God...Read More
This month was an important month for me. This month, I attended my first chapter meeting as an aspirant to the Discalced Carmelites Secular, or OCDS. Here’s a glimpse into my vocation story. Conversion At some point in my childhood, I watched The Sound of Music. Being both Protestant and living in the rural South, it was also my first introduction to nuns. The main thing I gathered was that these women gave themselves unreservedly to God. A small part of my heart responded to that, whispering a soft, “Yes, I would like to do that, too.” In college,...Read More
Join our online community!
- Christian and Islamic Faith in the Philippines Faith has been a huge rock that Filipinos have been ... by Carmel Ylanan
- What is The Meaning of American Identity? According to the thesis, which will be presented in the ... by Dr. Ant, Servant Without Merit
- The Pros and Cons of Kneeling “I kneel only to God. I don’t see him here.” ... by Herbie Borek
- How to Have Your Best Lent Yet Lent is a forty-day journey with Christ in the desert ... by Acacia St. Anthony
- In Tempore Gratiae: The Meaning of The Creation of The Universe In order to know more about our universe, we should ... by Dr. Ant, Servant Without Merit
- How Chesterton Led Me To The Catholic Church “Have you ever read a book that changed your life?” Ha... by Zubair Simonson, OFS | posted on January 7, 2018
- The Pros and Cons of Kneeling “I kneel only to God. I don’t see him here.” –John Ab... by Herbie Borek | posted on October 12, 2017
- A New Movie On Our Lady of Fatima and The Vatican Deception We sit down with Paul Stark, Director, and Producer of... by Editor in Chief | posted on November 26, 2017
- What is The Meaning of American Identity? According to the thesis, which will be presented in the... by Dr. Ant, Servant Without Merit | posted on June 20, 2017
- Christian and Islamic Faith in the Philippines Faith has been a huge rock that Filipinos have been cli... by Carmel Ylanan | posted on January 24, 2018
- What is The Meaning of American Identity? According to the thesis, which will be presented in the...
- The Pros and Cons of Kneeling “I kneel only to God. I don’t see him here.” –John Ab...
- How to Have Your Best Lent Yet Lent is a forty-day journey with Christ in the desert...
- In Tempore Gratiae: The Meaning of The Creation of The Universe In order to know more about our universe, we should dis...
- In His Silence: Does God Ever Notice? It's just the start of 2018 but you might feel that you...